Canadian Tire JumpStart
Founded in 2005, Canadian Tire Jumpstart (Jumpstart) improves the lives of youth through sport and physical activity. Jumpstart offers individual child grants and community development grants. Youth aged 4 to 18 who need financial support can apply for a grant from Jumpstart. Children can be funded up to $600 to cover registration and equipment fees for more than 70 activities. The charity also focuses on helping girls and youth with disabilities become more involved with sport.
To be eligible for funding for one or more children, families must first meet specific financial criteria as per Revenue Canada’s Low-Income Cut-Offs (LICO) chart. Jumpstart uses the furthest column to the right of the chart for eligibility.
Other Funding Requirements
- Children must fall between the ages of 4 - 18 years old.
- Funding is allocated to sustained programs that involve a sport or physical activity.
- Programs should be a minimum of five weeks in duration and include at least one session per week. In the case of sports camps, the program must last at least five consecutive days for consideration.
Funding Details and Timelines
- It is recommended that applications be submitted prior to the program start date. Applications submitted where the program has concluded will not be reviewed.
- Applications must include proof of financial need. A clear, legible, and current copy of pages 1 and 2 of your Canada Child Benefit (Statement) will be required as proof of need.
- Under exceptional circumstances (e.g., recent immigrants to Canada, individuals fleeing spousal abuse, etc.) alternative confirmation of eligibility will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- Your application may take 6-8 weeks to be processed. Please take this into consideration when submitting your application.
- Funding is up to $300 per activity, subject to Chapter discretion and/or local demands.
- Children can be funded for successive seasons in an activity, up to a maximum of $300 per activity.
- The annual maximum amount a child is eligible to receive is up to $600, subject to Chapter discretion and/or local demands.
- All approvals will be determined by the local Jumpstart Chapter and designated Canadian Tire Jumpstart Regional Manager, and are subject to local demands and Chapter budgets.
- Cheques are made payable to the service organization, identified as the “payee” in the application. A payee can be a local hockey association, gymnastics club, etc., that coordinates the sports or physical activity on behalf of the qualifying youth/child.
Before You Apply
Before you start your application, please have the following ready:
- Your contact information (name, postal code, telephone number, and email address)
- The first name, last name, gender, and date of birth of your child
- The details of the sport or physical activity in which your child would like to participate including program dates, the name of the program and proof of programming
- The amount that you are requesting from Jumpstart
- The name of the non-profit/charity/service organization (payee) running the sport or physical activity program
- Proof of financial need: a clear, legible, and current copy of pages 1 and 2 of your Canada Child Benefit (Statement) will be required as proof of need